New Pond Farm is celebrating its 30th year as an environmental education center with a small working farm. Our mission is to connect people with the land that enriches and sustains us all.
Our beautiful 102-acre property is located in West Redding, CT. It was once the home of our founder, actress Carmen Mathews, and it is an outstanding outdoor classroom. We have a variety of habitats for our environmental programs including woodlands, wetlands, and pastures.
- Our Native American programs are enhanced by an authentically-recreated encampment.
- Our astronomy buildings are home to monthly astronomy programs as well as being the field station for Joel Barlow High School.
- Our vegetable and herb gardens are featured in our programs.
- Our farm programs take place in our barns, which house milking cows, sheep, chickens and roosters.
- Our barn-like Learning Center with its classroom and spacious meeting areas has been the site of art shows, adult lectures, barn dances, and more.
In 2007 New Pond Farm was designated a Connecticut Dairy Farm of Distinction, people visiting our Dairy Annex may purchase freshly pasteurized milk and yogurt.
In the summer we host a small and personal residential camp. During three ten-day sessions, we bring together children from the inner cities of Connecticut with children from the surrounding area. Together these youngsters, aged 8-12, from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds form friendships, develop an understanding and appreciation of one another as individuals, and have a marvelous time discovering the many wonders of the farm.
We look forward to seeing you in our programs and we would welcome your support of this wonderful environmental center. Please contact us if you have any questions!